Read & Write for PC
Award-winning software for all learners
Read & Write software, from Texthelp, has a long history as an award-winning software to support students with learning difficulties.
As of 2016, Texthelp offers access to read & write on a PC, Mac, iPad and on Google Chrome as part of an annual subscription. The software is free for the first month, and after that, there is an annual fee of $330 for a licence. School licences are significantly discounted.
This software is ideal for students using a PC or Mac, needing support with reading, writing and study tools.
The following tools are available in Read & Write for PC:
In the first lesson learn the value of learning to touch-type and learn to use the Voice Capture capabilities of Audionote.
1. Reading Instructions- how to use text-to-speech
2. The importance of Touch Typing
3. Can you already type with all ten fingers?
4. Audionote for Touch Screens
5. Audionote for Non-touch Screens
6. Audionote Quiz
Practice using Audionote for two tasks and learn to use text prediction in Read&Write
1. Audionote Practice
2. Text Prediction Introduction
3. Spell Checking your work
4. Spell Check and Sounds Like Quiz
Learn more about spell checking and homophone checking as well as study tools in R&WG.
- Spell Checking Practice and Homophone Checking
- Using Text-to-Speech and Study Tools
- Text-to-speech quiz
- Writing from your facts
Time for a project! Learn to use all the tools of R&WG to help you with all your school assignments.
- Project Research
- Print your highlighted notes from the last step so you have them in front of you.
- Recording with Audionote
- Text Prediction
- Run Spell Check on your writing.
- Run ‘Sounds Like’ check on your writing.
Learn to use the dictionary and vocabulary tools to improve your understanding of what you read. Learn how to use PDF aloud and OCR so that you can have a range of types of documents read to you.
- Dictionary and Vocabulary Tools
- Complete the Vocabulary summary for the words on the webpage that you need to learn.
- Picture Dictionary
- PDF Aloud
- PDF Aloud quiz
- OCR- scanning an image PDF
Create a project
- Fact Folder part 1
- Research your famous person from three different websites and save the facts in the Fact Folder.
- Creating a document of facts
- Collate your information in a Word Document and save.
- Highlight the important facts in your Fact Folder. Save the document
Organising information & writing biography
One final step before writing your biography is to organise the facts so that your writing is easier and well organised.
1. Mind Mapping
2. Writing your biography
3. Perfect your writing!
4. Email your completed biography to ATapps
Practice makes perfect- we need to do some revision to make sure you know exactly how to use the different tools.
- Revision: OCR document
- Creating a summary
- Check your highlighting: Click on the document below for your year level and make sure that your highlighting of the important information is similar.
- Revision: writing from facts
Learn about the last few tools of RWG.
- Speechmaker exercise
- Speechmaker exercise
- Speechmaker Quiz
- Screen masking
- Voice Notes
The final lesson of the course- create your own toolbar and complete the quiz to show you have mastered all the tools.
- Create your own Toolbar
- Other tools
- Final Quiz